Pages

Thursday, 16 January 2014

Needlework Shopping in London - 50 Years Ago


Big sigh! Time was when you could walk into any large store and they would have a needlework/haberdashery department where you could while away spare lunch hours and pin money. Now needlework departments and proper haberdashery is a rare find indeed. Here you can see some of the greats that used to be in London. I particularly loved the Needlewoman Shop on Regent Street - it was there from 1928 - 1985. How can it not be there still? (A former employee of the Needlewoman Shop, Sue, has kindly emailed to tell us: I don't know about Women's Home Industries, but do know what happened The Needlewoman Shop. Coats Patons took it over from Mrs Violet Stagg. She stayed on there for a while, but when she finally retired Coats wanted to turn it into a branch of Country Casuals with a cafe in the basement. They were already reducing the variety of stock while I was working there, so that it was mainly their own products. In cold, hard reality, I can't imagine that the shop was making anything like enough to cover the rising cost of the beautiful oak-panelled building on Regent Street and the mail order department in the building behind, but it was a sad day when it closed. People used to come from all over the world to see it.)

I was also a great supporter of the Women's Home Industries Shop in Pimlico that would make up your work into cushions or panels or whatever. Although they are still listed as a business I have not found them recently -perhaps they have moved. Does anyone have news of them?

4 comments:

  1. I remember going to the Needlewoman Shop in Regent Street a few times when I came over to London. I also went to Harrods Haberdashery Section as well. I have 2 Danish Trammed Needlepoint pieces hanging on my walls that came from there John Lewis also had a wonderful Haberdashery Section if I remember correctly.

    It's the same here in Australia. All of the big Department Stores had wonderful Haberdashery Sections but sadly they no longer have them any more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I purchased my first lot of linen fabric for my first cross stitch project from the Needlewoman shop it was wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really an interesting blog as it focuses on the very important topic. i came to know about so many things or tips.
    Herbal Potpourri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want to appreciate your work. Excellent work, In other words we can say nicely executed. Keep sharing. Thank you.
    Herbal Potpourri

    ReplyDelete