Pages

Sunday 14 August 2011

Rock Those Regency Frocks * Jane Austen Festival, Bath 16-24 September * Knit a Tree Cozy * Bramble Sunday

And if you don't yet have a frock - see the lovely ones like the one above which are created by Andrea Galer and are for sale.

Did you know that the largest gathering of people dressed in Regency costumes was achieved by 409 participants, for the Jane Austen Festival in Bath, UK, on 19 September 2009? Yes, it's official - it is in the Guiness Book of World Records. The Jane Austen Festival is held every year in beautiful Bath and this year the event falls between Friday 16th and Saturday 24th September. The most spectacular day each year is the first Saturday, when the festival officially opens with the Regency Costumed Promenade through the streets of Bath. Promenaders from all over the world dress in 18th Century attire led by the Town Crier and accompanied by soldiers and sailors adding extra colour to the proceedings. So rock those frocks! (As Mr Darcy would say....mmm).
No, it wasn't another typo of mine - I really do mean TREE cozy - it's another way of hugging a tree...and...coming together to get to know people and do fun things that don't cost the earth.
For more details click here. Maybe you have a Tree Cozy project near you?
Well, it was Bramble Sunday today - we went out on our bikes with our containers to collect blackberries from the hedges. There seems to be a high correlation between nettles and brambles and I have the odd rash to prove it. But still, the freezer has its little beds of beady blackberries just waiting for a pie or a crumble. Next week it will be Elderberry Sunday and already I am concocting in my head a nice elderberry and blackberry relish, I think the sharpness of the brambles will be a lovely foil for the meaty elderberries.

5 comments:

  1. OK,, this is the first time I've seen this sort of needlework.. may I ask why they make these?
    Interesting....
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you mean the Regency dresses or the Tree Cozies, Sandy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a child, living in the Australian bush (complete with kangaroos, wallabies and frill neck lizards), our property line ended at the base of a steep hill at the creek (um, little river) line. On the other side of the creek were a thousand blackberry bushes.
    So my sister and I would stand IN the creek, (it was usually freezing in Autumn) and do battle with the bushes and thorns to get the berries then carry them 3 km home....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. ......would I ever love to be in that regency parade....it is without a doubt my favorite time of dress.....I think I may have to watch a Jane Austen today!! Thank you for the video!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And to think I was complaining of a few nettle stings! Memories are made of this, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete