Pages

Monday 7 March 2011

Look at the Frame! Christie's Auction 8 March

Well, shiver my timbers and hoist me by my own petard, now you have caught me saying something I never thought I would or should. Look at the frame! (As opposed to - Look at the sampler!) This is such a lovely frame - described as pan work - a term I am not familiar with - perhaps someone can tell us more?
I am very grateful to Christopher Proudlove for informing us: I think you'll find that's penwork - the name given to the nineteenth-century decorative technique in which many of the technical, aesthetic, and social contexts of the day are reflected in its intricate designs. Many penwork designs seek to simulate the glamour and richness of ivory-inlaid furniture, while others mimic the hardstone mosaic substitute, scagliola.
It is alive with gorgeous Regency vignettes of girls and boys, mothers and fathers, their costumes all depicted in meticulous detail. The sampler to which it is now attached is probably later in date - 1832 - and is for auction together with another sampler tomorrow at Christie's in London. The lot number is 342 and the estimate for both samplers is £700- £1,000. Click here for more details. 

5 comments:

  1. Well, I totally agree with you..How beautiful this is! I'm not familiar with pan work either. Let us know as you find out more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really is gorgeous...I had never seen one even remotely like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well shiver my timbers as well!!! That frame is amazing! It does take one's attention away from the sampler.
    What the heck are timbers anyway? We ought to know since ours are shivering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you'll find that's penwork - the name given to the nineteenth-century decorative technique in which many of the technical, aesthetic, and social contexts of the day are reflected in its intricate designs. Many penwork designs seek to simulate the glamour and richness of ivory-inlaid furniture, while others mimic the hardstone mosaic substitute, scagliola.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just breathtaking!and the sampler is lovely too! I love the Christies catalogue and want nearly everything shown!!

    ReplyDelete