Pages

Thursday 11 March 2010

Charles II Silkwork Double Casket * Christie's 25 March * London

Since the estimate on this item is £40,000 - £60,000, I thought you should have at least a fortnight's warning. You wouldn't want to go shopping for a new pair of shoes and then not have enough left in your purse to bid for this extremely desirable late 17th century double casket, would you? The oak carrying box which has a top-opening lid and fall front has protected the inner silk embroidered casket from the effect of travels and time. You can't see the top here - it depicts the judgment of Solomon scene familiar to us from many Stuart stitched pictures.


The story of Abraham and Hagar continues on one side panel, while the back and the other side-panel portray Venus, Adonis and the boar hunt.

The front doors part Abraham from Hagar and Ishmael to reveal a chest of many hiding places for secrets and small treasures.

Here you can see in more detail the interior with three upper panels, each decorated with two bells above a mirrored recess lined with eight giltwood half-columns, flanked by four small drawers above a long drawer, all decorated thistles, acorns and other floral motifs. It is 14.5 inches (37 cm.) high; 11.75 inches (30 cm.) wide; and 8.25 inches (21 cm.) deep. For more details of the Christie's Sale on 25 March 2010 in London, click here.

8 comments:

  1. Indeed, what a shame it would be to spend one's hard-earned money on mundane things like shoes and have to pass up such a glorious item! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for warning me J, have to save all my penny's!! What a dream casket, but one can also view these at the V&A and dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I have a birthday coming up! Could someone whisper this in my husbands ear. haha He might give me a photo copy of it framed! It is so beautiful, what a dream it is to see all that work still so glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, looks like the boys will have to be runnin' around barefoot all summer now! That is georgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That really is stunning and to have survived so long in such apparently good condition. I really enjoy reading your blog entries - thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. It's gorgeous! Considering I'm pretty sure I wouldn't fit comfortably in it, I suppose I'll skip the mortgage and just enjoy the photos!

    It'll be interesting to see how much it goes for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you warned me...I might have bought something to eat instead of saving my pennies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a glorious casket! So vivid and don`t you just love those gilded feet??? I have never seen one insuch perfect condition. I do hope it goes to a museum so the world can enjoy it...it`s too pretty to linger in a private collection...

    ReplyDelete